14/8/2017 144 Security Issues | Cyber Security | View Recent Current Affairs
- The first phase of National Cyber Coordination Centre(NCCC), set up to scan the country’s web traffic to detect cyber security threats, has been made operational now.
- NCCC, a multi-stakeholder body, will be implemented by Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) at Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- NCCC scans internet traffic coming into the country to detect real-time cyber threat and alert various organisations as well as internet service providers for timely action.
- The Centre will scan the cyberspace in the country for cyber security threats at metadata level to generate situational awareness.
- The Centre derives necessary powers as per provisions of section 69B of the Information Technology Act, 2000 and the Rules notified thereunder.
- Some of the components of NCCC include a cyber-crime prevention strategy, cybercrime investigation training, review of outdated laws, etc. Indian and U.S. intelligence agencies are also working together to curb misuse of social media platforms in the virtual world by terror groups
What do we mean by Cyber security?
- Cyber security is concerned with making cyberspace safe from threats, namely cyber-threats. The notion of “cyber-threats” is rather vague and implies the malicious use of information and communication technologies (ICT) either as a target or as a tool by a wide range of malevolent actors.
As commonly used, the term “cybersecurity” refers to three things:
- A set of activities and other measures, technical and non-technical, intended to protect computers, computer networks, related hardware and devices software, and the information they contain and communicate, including software and data, as well as other elements of cyberspace, from all threats, including threats to the national security;
- The degree of protection resulting from the application of these activities and measures;
- The associated field of professional endeavour, including research and analysis, aimed at implementing and those activities and improving their quality.
Need For Cyber security:
- To ensure critical infrastructure system do not collapse under any situation
- To ensure Business continuity.
- To ensure disaster recovery plans are tested regularly and upgraded.
- For the success of government initiatives like Digital India, Make in India and Smart Cities.