23/7/2017 452 Security Issues | Cyber Security | View Recent Current Affairs
- India will host Global Conference on Cyber Space (GCCS) 2017, the world’s largest conference on cyber space and related issues in New Delhi.
- This is for the first time GCCS is taking place outside Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) nations.
- It will be the fifth edition the conference.
- The theme for the GCCS 2017 is ‘Cyber4All: An Inclusive, Sustainable, Developmental, Safe and Secure Cyberspace‘.
- It will serve as a platform for the exchange of ideas with global think thanks and promote closer co-operation among the international community.
- The Global Conference on Cyberspace (GCCS) aims to deliberate on the issues related to promotion of cooperation in cyberspace, norms for responsible behaviours in cyberspace and to enhance cyber capacity building.
- The first was held in London in 2011 and is sometimes also referred as the London Process. The conference presented a set of principles “for governing behaviour in cyberspace” that was discussed by around 700 participants.
- The second GCCS was held in Budapest on 4-5 October 2012 and honed in on emerging issues, particularly the relationship between internet rights and internet security.
- By the third conference, that was hosted at Seoul on 17-18 October 2013, the conference had grown to approximately 1,600 participants with greater representation from countries in the global South.
- The most significant outcome of this GCCS was the Seoul Framework for and Commitment to Open and Secure Cyberspace, which highlighted the importance of universal internet access and emphasized the rights to protect the online users.
- The fourth conference in The Hague placed more emphasis on the civil society participation than in previous years.