10/8/2017 325 Science Affairs | Space | View Recent Current Affairs
- ISRO and NASA are working towards realisation of NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR) mission by 2021.
- ISRO and NASA have a framework agreement for cooperation in the exploration and use of outer space for peaceful purposes signed in 2008.
- Under this framework agreement, ISRO and NASA have executed an implementing arrangement for cooperation in NISAR mission, which is valid until 2034 and provides scope for joint activities on science & applications of NISAR data after the launch.
- NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR) mission is a dual frequency (L & S Band) Radar Imaging Satellite.
- In this joint mission, JPL/ NASA will be responsible for design & development of L-band SAR, 12m unfurlable antenna, GPS system and data recorder.
- ISRO will be responsible for design & development of S-band SAR, Spacecraft Bus, data transmission system, Spacecraft integration & testing, launch using GSLV and on-orbit operations.
The aim and objectives of NISAR mission are:
- Design, Develop and launch a Dual frequency (L and S Band) Radar Imaging Satellite.
- Explore newer application areas using L and S band microwave data, especially in natural resources mapping & monitoring; estimating agricultural biomass over full duration of crop cycle; assessing soil moisture; monitoring of floods and oil slicks; coastal erosion, coastline changes and variation of winds in coastal waters; assessment of mangroves; surface deformation studies due to seismic activities etc.
- Implementation Arrangement (IA), defining the roles and responsibilities of ISRO and NASA has been signed by the two agencies in September 2014. ISRO has completed the Baseline Design Reviews of Spacecraft and S-band SAR payload. JPL has successfully completed the Mission Concept and Key Decision Point reviews. The first Joint Steering Group (JSG) meeting of NISAR was held on July 21, 2015. NISAR satellite is expected to be launched during the year 2021.
- The cost of the project comprises is expected to be around USD 808 million.