4/9/2017 787 Social Issues | Gender issues | View Recent Current Affairs
- The government has released the Guidelines of Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana.
- This scheme is implemented by the Ministry of Women & Child Development in collaboration with State Governments.
- Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana (PMMVY), previously Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojana (IGMSY), is a maternity benefit program run by the government of India.
- It is a conditional cash transfer scheme for pregnant and lactating women of 19 years of age or above for first two live births.
- It provides partial wage compensation to women for wage-loss during childbirth and childcare and to provide conditions for safe delivery and good nutrition and feeding practices.
- In 2013, the scheme was brought under the National Food Security Act, 2013 to implement the provision of cash maternity benefit of ?6,000 stated in the Act.
- It is Centrally Sponsored Scheme under which the cost sharing ratio between the Centre and the States & UTs with Legislature is 60:40, for North-Eastern States & three Himalayan States; it is 90:10 and 100% Central assistance for Union Territories without Legislature.
- The total cash incentive of Rs. 6,000 will be released in three instalments. The first instalment will be provided during the first trimester of pregnancy. The second instalment will be issued during delivery of the child. And the third instalment will be given post three months, during lactation period.
- The first instalment disbursement amount is Rs. 3,000. This will be provided only when there is a registration of pregnancy which may be during the first 3 months. Or another criterion for claiming this amount is by receiving one antenatal medical checkup.
- The second installment amounts Rs. 1,500 which will be issued only when the beneficiary goes through institutional delivery.
- The final installment of Rs. 1,500 will be provided after completion of three months of delivery. To claim this amount, the beneficiary should either produce birth registration certificate, or proof of BCG/DPT 1 &2/OPV vaccination of the child.
- All payments will be done by direct bank transfers and no cash payments will be done. The beneficiaries should provide their bank or post office account details. Linking of Aadhar card with the bank/post office account is mandatory.
Eligible beneficiaries of the scheme
- Any woman who belongs to the PW&LM category which means is either ¡n pregnancy stage or has given birth to the child and is in lactating stage will get full benefits of the MBP.
- The beneficiaries must be resident of India with necessary residential certificate.
- The women who are employees of state government, public sectors, central government, etc. will not be eligible for this cash incentive MBP as they already are provided with maternity benefits from their departments.
- Apart from this, the benefit will only be provided for two live births per beneficiary.