- Seven shortlisted companies were given ‘Letters of Intent’ for fourteen monuments under ‘Adopt a Heritage Scheme’ of Ministry of Tourism at the closing ceremony of ‘Paryatan Parv’ at Rajpath Lawns, New Delhi. These companies will be the future ‘Monument Mitras’ who would associate pride with their CSR activities.
- Adopted Monuments are : a) Jantar Mantar, Delhi; b) Sun Temple, Konark; c) Raja Rani Temple, Bhubaneshwar; d) Ratnagiri Monuments, Jajpur, Odisha; e) Hampi, Karnataka; f) Leh Palace, Jammu & Kashmir; g) Qutub Minar, Delhi; h) Ajanta Caves, Maharashtra; i) Mattancherry Palace Museum, Kochi; j) Safdarjung Tomb, Delhi; k) Gangotri Temple Area and Trail to Gaumukh; l) Mt. StokKangri, Laddakh, Jammu and Kashmir; m) Agrasen ki Baoli, Delhi;n) Purana Quila, Delhi.
What is ‘Adopt a Heritage Project’?
- ADOPT A HERITAGE ‘Apni Dharohar, Apni Pehchaan’ is a unique endeavour of Ministry of Tourism in close collaboration with Ministry of Culture and Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) which envisages developing monuments, heritage and tourist sites across India and making them tourist friendly to enhance their tourism potential and cultural importance, in a planned and phased manner.
- Scheme was launched on World Tourism Day i.e. 27thSeptember, 2017.
Objectives of the project are to:
- Develop basic tourism infrastructure in and around heritage monuments and any other tourist sites.
- Inclusive tourist experience for heritage site / monument or tourist site.
- Promote cultural and heritage value of the country to generate livelihoods of local communities of respective heritage site / monument/ tourist site.
- Enhance the tourist attractiveness in a sustainable manner by developing world class infrastructure at heritage site / monument or tourist site.
- Create employment through active involvement of local communities.
- Harness tourism potential for its multiplier effects in employment generation and economic development.
- Develop sustainable tourism infrastructure and ensuring proper Operations and Maintenance therein.
- For management under the project, organization such as Oversight and Vision Committee, Implementation Committee, Monument Committee etc. have been constituted.
- Public / Private sector companies or individuals successfully selected through the process of ‘Vision Bidding’, on a competitive basis for the project shall be called as Monument Mitras.
- This project is initially proposed to be implemented for 5 years subject to the review of the performance at any time.
- In case of unsatisfactory performance and non-compliance of guidelines the MoU is liable to be terminated.
- Under the project Monuments have been categorized in three as Green, Blue and Orange.