This is a new programme meant to provide for the welfare of areas and people affected by mining related operations, using the funds generated by District Mineral Foundations (DMFs).
Objective of PMKKKY scheme will be:
- To implement various developmental and welfare projects/programs in mining affected areas that complement the existing ongoing schemes/projects of State and Central Government.
- To minimize/mitigate the adverse impacts, during and after mining, on the environment, health and socio-economics of people in mining districts.
- To ensure long-term sustainable livelihoods for the affected people in mining areas.
Main aspects of PMKKKY
- The Mines and Minerals (Development & Regulation) Amendment Act, 2015, mandated the setting up of District Mineral Foundations (DMFs) in all districts in the country affected by mining related operations.
- Pradhan Mantri Khanij Kshetra Kalyan Yojana (PMKKKY), would be funded by the proceeds accrued to these foundations.
- At least 60 per cent of the money in each DMF would be used drinking water supply, health care, sanitation, education, skill development, women and child care, welfare of aged and disabled people, skill development and environment conservation.
- The remaining money would be utilised to create a supportive and conducive living environment, making roads, bridges, railways, waterways projects, irrigation and encouraging alternative energy sources.
- For mining-affected villages situated within the scheduled areas, the gram sabha’s approval would be mandatory for all programmes and projects to be taken up under this programme and would also authenticate the list of beneficiaries.
Report pertaining to works executed under PMKKKY would have to be furnished to the gram sabha after completion of every financial year.