15/1/2015 593 Social Issues | Gender issues | View Recent Current Affairs
- After Swachh Bharat and Make In India, the Modi government's big bang flagship scheme will be "Beti bachao, beti padhao'' that will bring much needed attention to the country's low child sex ratio.
- The scheme will be launched by PM Narendra Modi on January 22 and will focus on a multi-sectoral approach to tackling the problem of the vanishing girl child.
- The Rs 100-crore scheme is expected to be monitored by the ministry of women and child development (WCD) headed by Maneka Gandhi in coordination with the ministries of health and HRD. Audits are expected to be done by civil society and the CAG to ensure that targets are met.
- The objectives of the scheme is to prevent gender biased sex selection by stringent enforcement of existing laws especially by strengthening the implementation of Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (Prohibition of Sex Selection) Act, 1994 (PC&PNDT Act) with stringent punishments for violations of the law.
- BBBP will also ensure access and availability of essential requirements related to nutrition, health, care, education and protection and elimination of discrimination of girl child which can lead to low self-esteem, lifelong deprivation and exclusion from the social mainstream.
- The objectives will be achieved through convergence and coordination with concerned ministries, departments and district administration.
- A toilet in every girl's school in 100 vulnerable districts, an innovation fund at the state level to encourage best practices in improving child sex ratio and gender inequities, district level awards to schools strengthening girl child education are some of the targets that the scheme hopes to accomplish by 2017.
- Appropriate initiatives will be taken to encourage girls to express their views and to be heard, to participate actively, effectively and equally at all levels of social, economic, and political leadership. Long term interventions for gender equality would focus on creating enabling environment including employable opportunities, safety and security, mobility and speedy justice