15/11/2017 210 Geography | Tourism | View Recent Current Affairs
- West Bengal government is preparing plans to set up a fish tourism circuit to attract country’s fish-loving communities. The State Fisheries Development Corporation (SFDC) is preparing the blueprint for the tourism circuit.
About Fish tourism circuit:
- The circuit would centre around the hotels run by SFDC in places like Digha, Udaypur, Henry Island, Bishnupur, Jamunadighi and Siliguri.
- A typical tour would consist of a two days-one night package, with fish as the focal theme – be it food or sightseeing. And fish dishes to be served would comprise the traditional favourites of Bengalis as well as newly-introduced varieties in the state like chanos (also called milkfish), pompano, cobia (all marine fishes) and vannamei (a type of shrimp).
- The fish tourism circuit would begin functioning with tours to Digha.
- With plenty of coastline, lakes, ponds, rivers and other inland waterways, India is an ideal destination for all kinds of angling and fishing holidays. Over the last few decades, angling and fishing have emerged as famous adventure activities in India. Expanded over a distance more than 7500 km long, the clean and clear Indian coastline offers excellent opportunities to the anglers who are looking for places to fish all year round. The clean water of raging rivers and their tributaries provide a perfect angling and fishing places surrounded with abundant natural beauty.
- Right from the splendid Himalayan valleys, high altitude lakes, snow-fed streams to the wide coastal stretches of the Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea, the country has a wide range of adventurous setting to meet the growing demands and expectations of the anglers.
- India is home to a wide variety of fishes. Some of the preferred fishes among the fishing aficionados and anglers are Trout, Shark and the Mahseer. The Mahseer is the hardest finding species of fish in the world and is only found in India. Thus, most likely grab the attention and interest of majority of the fishing lovers and anglers. One can find all four of its varieties of Mahseer fish including the Silver, Golden, Back and Sliver Grey Mahseers.