19/6/2017 243 Security Issues | External Security | View Recent Current Affairs
- The UN General Assembly has approved the establishment of a new office to coordinate counter-terrorism efforts.
- The 193-member General Assembly adopted a consensus resolution creating the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism that will be headed by an Under-Secretary- General
- Under the new structure, the Counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force Office (CTITF) and the UN Counter- Terrorism Centre (UNCCT), currently in the UN Department of Political Affairs (DPA) will be transferred to the new office, together with their existing staff and all associated regular and extra-budgetary resources.
Main Function of the office:
- Provide leadership on the General Assembly counter-terrorism mandates entrusted to the Secretary-General from across the United Nations system.
- Enhance coordination and coherence across the 38 Counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force entities to ensure the balanced implementation of the four pillars of the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy.
- Strengthen the delivery of United Nations counter-terrorism capacity-building assistance to Member States.
- Improve visibility, advocacy and resource mobilization for United Nations counter-terrorism efforts.
- Ensure that due priority is given to counterterrorism across the United Nations system and that the important work on preventing violent extremism is firmly rooted in the Strategy
- This step demonstrates the importance member states place on collective and coordinated action on terrorism, which remains the most complex threat faced by the international community.
- This reform of the UN counter- terrorism architecture will contribute to the world body's broader efforts to promote conflict prevention, sustainable peace and development.
- Terrorism poses a serious law and order problem and leads to disintegration of society. The incident of murder, torture, mutilation, kidnapping, arson and extortion create atmosphere of suspicion, fear and panic all around. Life becomes uncertain. The terrorists kill unarmed civilians including women and children.
- Organized crime and violence cause social disharmony. The inter relationship among various insurgent groups and their foreign linkages bring illegal money and encourages smuggling. Many insurgent groups collect certain percentage of money from the employees and businessmen on regular basis. Economic development of the area comes to an end. Our government has to make heavy expenditure to meet the challenges of terrorism.